How are you funded?
By people helping people: an astounding 80% of our income is from individual donors. The other 20% comes from local foundations and/or government grants.
How many people do you help?
During the 2018 fiscal year, we had the pleasure of serving thousands of individuals and families throughout our community:
- An average of 234 people per night enjoyed a hot meal in our community kitchen, adding up to 57,631 evening meals throughout the year
- An average of 1,165 households received groceries from our food pantries each month, adding up to 13,982 total families throughout the year
- 372 people found jobs through our Employment Program
- 1,148 families received rent or utility assistance for about $333,000 total in aid
- 300 people received help with their medical needs through Kansas City’s Medicine Cabinet
- 222 people who are elderly or have a disability received air conditioners through Project ElderCool
- 1,250 elementary school students received new tennis shoes and socks through Operation Heart and Sole
- 800 children, parents and seniors received Christmas gifts
How big is your staff?
We have 20 employees (plus hundreds of volunteers who help make our work possible!)
When was Bishop Sullivan Center founded?
Bishop Sullivan Center was originally founded in 1972 under the name of Cooperative Social Services. In 1994, it was renamed Bishop Sullivan Center in honor of Bishop John Sullivan due to his concern for the poor.
Is Bishop Sullivan Center affiliated with the Catholic church?
No, Bishop Sullivan Center is an independent 501(c)3 charitable organization. However, our work is inspired by our Christian faith, and many churches and faith communities support Bishop Sullivan Center.
How do you qualify people for household assistance and distribute funds?
Each client in need of household assistance fills out an application so we can better understand their circumstances and needs. We review these applications and invite qualified clients to make an appointment with a counselor. After
Do you have a list of items that I can donate?
Yes! Donations of food, clothes, personal hygiene supplies, and items for the home are a great help to our community. Please review a list of our accepted and most needed items. Don’t see your item on the list? Feel free to contact us to see if we currently have that need.
Do you have volunteer opportunities available?
Yes! Volunteer roles include serving a meal at One City Café, helping pack and distribute groceries in our food pantry, or helping in our office. Your help is crucial to our mission. You can view and sign up for volunteer opportunities online.